Rockford police officer killed in the line of duty Sunday mornin - – Rockford’s News Leader

Rockford police officer killed in the line of duty Sunday morning

Posted: Updated:

UPDATE - 12:30 PM Sunday: The Rockford Police Department has released more information about the death of Officer Jaimie Cox while on duty overnight. 

During a press conference at police headquarters Sunday afternoon, Rockford Police Chief Dan O'Shea says Officer Cox made a traffic stop in the area of East State Street and Dawn Avenue just after 1 a.m. Sunday.

A short time later, Cox made a brief transmission indicating he needed assistance. Officers responded to the area and found a single vehicle crash about two blocks north of the original stop.

Offices at the scene found the driver, 49-year-old Eddie Patterson, dead inside the crashed vehicle. Officers also found Cox at the scene of the crash, critically injured.

Police officers on the scene attempted life-saving maneuvers on Cox before he was transported to the hospital. Cox was pronounced dead a short time later at OSF St. Anthony's.

Preliminary reports indicate Officer Cox was involved in a struggle during the stop that resulted in him "becoming entangled" in the suspect's vehicle. It is believed that Cox fired his weapon during this incident. 

The cause of death for both Cox and Patterson have not been determined and autopsies are pending. 

Because police believe Officer Cox fired his weapon, the Winnebago-Boone County Integrity Task Force has been called in to investigate. 

During the press conference Chief O'Shea called Office Cox "a great kid," saying "words don't describe it. It is beyond difficult. We are all family. It hurts."

Rockford Mayor Tom McNamara said Sunday was the most difficult day in his short time as mayor, adding that it is "humbling and inspiring" to see the amount of support coming from the community. 

A Rockford Police officer has died following an early-morning accident Sunday, according to Rockford Police Chief Dan O'Shea. 

O'Shea identified the officer as 30-year-old Jaimie Cox. 

According to Rockford Police, an officer made a traffic stop in the area of East State Street and Dawn Avenue and called in around 1 a.m. about a shooting near Rockford University.  A short time later, police say the officer made a brief radio transmission indicating he needed assistance. Police responded to that area and found a single-car crash. Officers reportedly found Officer Cox critically injured at the scene. He was immediately transferred to an area hospital where he later died.

According to O'Shea, Officer Cox joined the Rockford Police Department in December 2016. He was a graduate of Hononegah High School and Northern Illinois University. He received an honorable discharge from the U.S. Army National Guard in 2010, and then worked for the Illinois Department of Natural Resources' law enforcement division before joining Rockford's force. 

Rockford Police say they are holding another media briefing at at noon at the police administration headquarters, 557 South New Towne Drive.

Rockford Police Chief Dan O'Shea held a media briefing around 3:30 a.m. to make an update on the situation.

Chief O'Shea told the media that one other person was found dead inside the vehicle located at the scene.The investigation remains active. You can watch the full media briefing below as well as the latest update from the scene.

Roads are blocked off in the area and police are not letting anyone through the perimeter they have setup. Chief O'Shea would not confirm that a manhunt is underway at this time. 

Police have not said how Officer Cox died. Chief O'Shea said did say the public is not in danger at this time.

Police are asking anyone has information regarding this incident to contact the Rockford Police Department Investigations Bureau at (779) 500-6551 or CrimeStoppers at (815) 963-7867.

Powered by Frankly