Community members react after a woman is tragically killed in Or - – Rockford’s News Leader

Community members react after a woman is tragically killed in Oregon boating accident


A Rockford woman is dead after a boating crash Friday night in Oregon. The accident comes as a shock to some people in the area - one of whom was also on the boat during the fatal incident.

As a group of friends were boating on the Rock River Friday, a typical fun outing - quickly turned tragic.

"We were just cruising along very slow, idling along, and this boat out of no one just comes at us," said Phil Lukes, who was on the pontoon boat.

"The noise was so loud that it attracted everybody's attention, and then I saw people just scampering over to the river," said Al Overton, owner of River Road Marina.

The Winnebago County Coroner says 31 year-old Megan Wells of Rockford died Friday night after the pontoon boat she was on was struck by a fishing boat.

"Megan was a very good friend of ours, and she's going to be missed," Lukes said. "I'm sorry for her and she's got 3 children who aren't going to see their mother again."

This all happened at the River Road Marina in Oregon -- where the owner said he was shocked to learn the news.

"I've owned it for 38 years, and in 38 years we've never had an incident of this magnitude," Overton said. "It's a tragedy that should not have happened."

Phil Lukes was on the pontoon boat with Wells, and says he hopes people will be safer now and learn from this mistake.

"Just pay attention everywhere," Lukes said. "Don't have somebody or something in front of you that obstructs your view."

A message echoed by Overton - for boaters to not take lightly.

"They should always be cautious. Maybe this will bring them a little closer to reality of what can happen."

The accident is still under investigation by the Illinois Department of Natural Resources.

A second person was injured in the crash -- 29-year-old Nicholas Lamb of Oregon. Lamb was riding in the fishing boat and was taken to Rockford Memorial Hospital. Staff there tell 13 News he has since been discharged.

Powered by Frankly