UPDATE: Firefighters say unattended candle starts house fire - WREX.com – Rockford’s News Leader

UPDATE: Firefighters say unattended candle starts house fire

Posted: Updated:
Tips from Rockford Fire Dept. Tips from Rockford Fire Dept.

UPDATE: A candle starts a house fire resulting in $45,000 worth of damage.

That's according to the Rockford Fire Department.  The fire happened Friday night at 218 North London Avenue.  Saturday, investigators say the fire started in the kitchen area on the first floor and flames moved up to the second floor of the house and into the basement.  No one was home at the time.  The person who lives there came home and spoke with investigators.  They figured out that the cause was accidental, the fire was started by a candle left unattended.  No one was hurt.

The Rockford Fire Department responded to a house fire near downtown Friday night.

Around 9:30 p.m., the initial call came into 911 from neighbors who reported smoke coming from a home nearby.

When firefighters got there, they discovered nobody was there and no pets were inside.

They immediately began attacking the fire with hoses inside the house.  The fire was marked under control within a few minutes of their arrival.

The cause of the fire is still under investigation.

Powered by Frankly