NIU and RVC offer reverse transfer program - – Rockford’s News Leader

NIU and RVC offer reverse transfer program

Northern Illinois University and Rock Valley College have teamed up to give some of their students a unique opportunity. It's called a reverse transfer agreement and school leaders say it means better opportunities for graduates and the rockford area.

Often times if students go to junior college, they transfer to a 4-year university. But if they transfer before they earn their associates degree, they don't take home that diploma. Until now.

They'll be able to go there earning NIU credits that then count towards the associates degree that they started at Rock Valley College," said RVC President Mike Mastroianni.

Mastroianni and NIU President Doug Baker agree the move is a big win for students.

"Students today are facing a lot of challenges to get through school and we think that this really creates an opportunity for students to have a more seamless and cost effective way to get through college," said Baker.

And it can also have a positive impact on the Rockford area.

"I think the more people that complete degrees in our community, the greater the opportunities for raising educational aspirations and raising wealth in the community," said Mastroianni.

"It's really helpful for a lot of students because a lot of us do transfer to NIU," said RVC student Jamie Sharp "You'll be able to continue your studies and move at a much more rapid pace."

Mastroianni adds it acts as an extra form of security for those students who do transfer.

"They have the opportunity if they want to at least have the one degree. We hope they wouldn't do this but if they chose not to go on in school, at least they would have the associates degree for the coursework they did complete," he said.

Baker says more than 70 students already at NIU are eligible to take advantage of the reverse transfer program.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WREX. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service and Mobile Privacy Policy & Terms of Service.

Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Administrative Assistant Trista Truesdale at (815) 335-7856. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at