Chicago police make 2 arrests for last week's mass shooting - WREX.com – Rockford’s News Leader

Chicago police make 2 arrests for last week's mass shooting

Posted: Updated:
CHICAGO (AP) -

Two men have been charged in connection with last week's shooting that injured 13 people, including a 3-year-old boy.

Authorities say 21-year-old Bryon Champ and 20-year-old Kewane Gatewood were charged late Monday in the shooting at Cornell Square Park, which is located in Chicago's southwest side.

Chicago Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy says that while the two played significant roles in the shooting, neither is believed to have pulled the trigger.

McCarthy says detectives are continuing the investigation.

Authorities say as many as three people opened fire Thursday on a basketball court in the Back of the Yards neighborhood. Among those injured were 3-year-old Deonta Howard, who is recovering from surgery after being shot near an ear, along with two teenagers.

 

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WREX. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service and Mobile Privacy Policy & Terms of Service.

Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Administrative Assistant Trista Truesdale at (815) 335-7856. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at fccinfo@fcc.gov.