Red Cross assisting 8 after Janesville fire - WREX.com – Rockford’s News Leader

Red Cross assisting 8 after Janesville fire

Posted:
JANESVILLE (WREX) -

A total of eight people were displaced after a kitchen caught fire in a Janesville apartment Sunday evening.

Firefighters responded to the 300 block of South Academy Street around 5:45 p.m. for a kitchen fire in a two-story side-by-side duplex. The fire originated where a microwave and toaster were plugged in. Damage was contained to the kitchen, but the rest of the apartment sustained smoke damage.

All occupants were able to get out on their own after the fire alarms went off, including one person who had to exit through an upstairs window due to thick smoke. No one was injured and the adjoining apartment was not damaged.

The estimated damage is $10,000 for the structure and $15,000 for the contents. The tenant does not have renter's insurance. The Red Cross is assisting the family with housing.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WREX. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service and Mobile Privacy Policy & Terms of Service.

Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Administrative Assistant Trista Truesdale at (815) 335-7856. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at fccinfo@fcc.gov.