Boone County Health Department offering well water testing - – Rockford’s News Leader

Boone County Health Department offering well water testing


The Boone County Health Department is offering free water testing to those with wells affected by flooding.

Sterile bottles to be filled and returned for analysis can be found at the department, 1204 Logan Avenue in Belvidere. Information on disinfecting wells can also be found there. Residents with private wells should have the water tested after flood waters recede.

Both during and after floods, residents should stay away from the waters to avoid contamination, especially where homes are served by individual septic systems, which can release sewage into the floodwater when they're submerged.

The health department also recommends the following tips:

  • If you've come into contact with flood waters and have not had a tetanus shot in the last ten years or cannot remember when you've last had one, you should get one from your health care provider
  • Children and pets should be prevented from playing in or drinking flood waters left in puddles or flooded areas to avoid illness
  • Flood waters can contain organisms that contain disease. If you're in a flood area and become sick, call your doctor. Watch for symptoms like nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal cramping, muscle aches, and fevers.
  • Hands and fingernails should be thoroughly washed with soap and safe water after working in flooded areas, especially before eating and drinking

Questions can be forwarded to the Environmental Health Department at 815-544-2951, ext. 2, between 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. More information can be found at

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WREX. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service and Mobile Privacy Policy & Terms of Service.

Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Administrative Assistant Trista Truesdale at (815) 335-7856. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at