The three men accused of killing an 8 year-old while he slept back in 2002 will wait a few more days before Judge Joseph McGraw makes his decision. The defendants' lawyers are asking that Lumont Johnson, Anthony Ross and Tyjuan Anderson be released on bail after Judge McGraw's latest ruling giving the three a new trial. He overturned their guilty verdicts last month. Prosecutors filed their appeal to that ruling Tuesday. They say the three men killed DeMarcus Hanson.
There wasn't an empty seat in Courtroom A at the Winnebago County Justice Center Tuesday afternoon. The three men's family members insist they didn't do it, but also feel for Hanson's loved ones.
"They're victims, we're victims too. Somewhere out there is DeMarcus Hanson's killer. They need to prosecute whoever that is." -says Tyjuan Anderson's uncle Samuel Anderson.
Hanson's family members have declined to comment. Over the phone, DeMarcus's grandmother says this has been a difficult decade and that she's just trying to move on.
Judge McGraw says he needs time to read over pre-trial sentencing documents.
He plans to announce his decision to release the men on bail or keep them behind bars on Friday.
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2013 WorldNow and WREX. All Rights Reserved.
Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Administrative Assistant Trista Truesdale at (815) 335-7856. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at email@example.com.