Illinois receives housing grant for those with disabilities - – Rockford’s News Leader

Illinois receives affordable housing grant for those with disabilities


Low-income Illinoisans with disabilities could get help finding affordable housing in the community of their choice.

The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) announced a $11.98 million grant to make 825 apartments more affordable for those with special needs and low income. The plan is a part of the state's move toward a community-based care model for individuals with disabilities.

HUD awarded the Illinois Housing Development Authority (IHDA) the third-largest grant in the country. With the money, the IDHA will give rental subsidies to eligible property owners through one or more application rounds. Each subsidy awarded will then get an initial term of five years with the opportunity for renewals up to 20 years. Potential tenants will be linked to participating property owners through the State Referral Network.

Potential tenants must be have extremely low income to qualify. Qualifying tenants can make up to 30 percent of the median income for their area. For example, 30 percent of the median income in the Chicago area would be $15,480.

The IDHA will begin accepting program applications later this year. At that time, more information will be available at

The grant was awarded under the Section 811 Supportive Housing for Persons with Disabilities program.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WREX. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service and Mobile Privacy Policy & Terms of Service.

Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Administrative Assistant Trista Truesdale at (815) 335-7856. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at