A dryer in the 6300 block of Oak Crest Lane in Loves Park caught fire Wednesday morning, and according to a local fire chief, it's been a common problem lately.
Crews were able to put the fire out quickly on Oak Crest Lane, and most damage was smoke-related. However, Chief Phil Foley took the opportunity to urge homeowners to check their dryers for lint build-up in order to prevent their own fire.
"It's a very dangerous thing and it can be stopped by a little bit of maintenance for cleaning the tube and the dryer itself," he said.
Chief Foley also warned people not to run their dryers when they are not home.
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2013 WorldNow and WREX. All Rights Reserved.
Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Administrative Assistant Trista Truesdale at (815) 335-7856. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at firstname.lastname@example.org.