ROCKFORD (WREX) -
A local organization serving people with Down syndrome and other developmental disabilities is looking for more volunteers.
GiGi's Playhouse Rockford will hold its Annual Volunteer Open House on Monday, October 15 from 3:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. The center serves people of all ages, from infants to adults, and their families with educational and socialization programs.
They currently need the following volunteers:
- Current and/or retired teachers or education students to help tutor children, teens, and adults with Literacy and Math.
- People interested in organizing and working holiday events for all ages.
- Therapists to run play-based activities to benefit kids ages 0 to 12 and their parents, including developmental, speech, occupational, music, and physical therapists.
- Creative administrative computer work.
- People to join or form a clean team of three that will commit to at least once a month.
- Mentors/volunteers for Teen Program (volunteers must be at least 13 years old).
- Volunteers for Adult Program (volunteers must be at least 18 years old).
GiGi's Playhouse is located at 8801 North Second Street in Machesney Park. If you are unable to make it on October 15, you can call the playhouse at 815-654-7529 to ask when the next volunteer orientation date is.