Recruits rallied to end hunger locally, and worldwide - WREX.com – Rockford’s News Leader

Recruits rallied to end hunger locally, and worldwide

Posted: Updated:

Rockford CROP Hunger Walk volunteers educate the public on the global hunger crisis, and donate to the cause. The walk itself isn't for another couple of months, but tonight, some people are getting a head start on raising money that's used locally, and world wide.

"I get to help a global community without leaving Rockford." -says Rockford CROP Walk volunteer Susan Williams.

Donations from the Rockford CROP Walk are split up to reach different families.

"25% of what we raise stays in local food pantries, and the other 75% goes to projects around the globe." -adds Williams.

The Rock River Valley Pantry is just one example of a local CROP walk beneficiary. Part of the CROP walk's mission is to end the growing problem in our community.

"Food insecurity is a big part of what's happening here in Rockford. That's why about $10,000 to $15,000 has come back each year, and helped food pantries here." -says volunteer Kenneth Strorck.

Tonight, volunteers received envelopes and educational information on the cause they're working towards. The goal is to find sponsors, whether it's your family, friends, co-workers, or even fellow church congregates, to help reach a $50,000 target. Many volunteers sign up as part of a church, or organization, but individuals can participate as well. Jennifer Paul has been an individual Rockford CROP Walk volunteer for a few years now. Her profession is what inspires her to help out.

"Being a registered dietician in the community, I'm very passionate about helping feed the hungry, and just spreading the word about helping others, and giving them better nutrition." -says Paul.

The 26th annual Rockford CROP Walk takes place on October 21st. If you missed the meeting tonight, there's another one Thursday, August 23rd.

And if you can't make that, but you're interested in volunteering, contact the organization's co-chairman David Jones at Rockford's First Presbyterian Church.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WREX. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service and Mobile Privacy Policy & Terms of Service.

Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Administrative Assistant Trista Truesdale at (815) 335-7856. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at fccinfo@fcc.gov.