Meteorologist Joe Astolfi joined the WREX news team in November 2011 as the weekend meteorologist.
Joe graduated from Northern Illinois University in 2009with a degree in Meteorology and a minor in Geographic InformationSystems. He has lived in the Rockfordarea ever since and is excited to forecast the weather for northern Illinois. In addition to his meteorologist duties, Joedoubles as a photojournalist during the week, filming some of the stories yousee on 13 News.
Joe is proud to call Sandusky, Ohio his hometown. You may have heard of Sandusky: home of theworld-famous Cedar Point Amusement Park and also the setting for the cultclassic comedy film "Tommy Boy."
Inhis free time, Joe enjoys photography, all things geography, visiting familyand friends, and taking in the natural beauty found across the Stateline. His favorite places to go for a hike or bikeride include Sinnissippi Park, Blackhawk Springs Forest Preserve, the LongPrairie Trail, and the Jane Addams Trail.
Little known facts about Joe:
- I am a published research meteorologist! Findings from my NIU climatology researchproject about corn earworm crop infestation were published in the scientificjournal, Meteorological Applications, in 2010.
- I used to work at an NHRA dragstrip and I've been on ESPN because of it!
- I am a Cleveland sports fan. It can be tough!
- I've been to 20 states and the District of Columbia. I've also been to Canada, Italy, San Marino, Vatican City, and the Netherlands.
- I love natural history museums! The Field Museum in Chicago and the Burpee Museum in Rockford are my favorites.
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WREX. All Rights Reserved.
Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Administrative Assistant Trista Truesdale at (815) 335-7856. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at email@example.com.