Meteorologist Joe Astolfi joined the WREX news team in November 2011 as the weekend meteorologist.
Joe graduated from Northern Illinois University in 2009 with a degree in Meteorology and a minor in Geographic Information Systems. He has lived in the Rockford area ever since and is excited to forecast the weather for northern Illinois. In addition to his meteorologist duties, Joe doubles as a photojournalist during the week, filming some of the stories you see on 13 News.
Joe is proud to call Sandusky, Ohio his hometown. You may have heard of Sandusky: home of the world-famous Cedar Point Amusement Park and also the setting for the cult classic comedy film "Tommy Boy."
his free time, Joe enjoys photography, all things geography, visiting family
and friends, and taking in the natural beauty found across the Stateline. His favorite places to go for a hike or bike
ride include Sinnissippi Park, Blackhawk Springs Forest Preserve, the Long
Prairie Trail, and the Jane Addams Trail.
Little known facts about Joe:
- I am a published research meteorologist! Findings from my NIU climatology research project about corn earworm crop infestation were published in the scientific journal, Meteorological Applications, in 2010.
- I used to work at an NHRA dragstrip and I've been on ESPN because of it!
- I am a Cleveland sports fan. It can be tough!
- I've been to 20 states and the District of Columbia. I've also been to Canada, Italy, San Marino, Vatican City, and the Netherlands.
- I love natural history museums! The Field Museum in Chicago and the Burpee Museum in Rockford are my favorites.
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2013 WorldNow and WREX. All Rights Reserved.
Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Administrative Assistant Trista Truesdale at (815) 335-7856. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at firstname.lastname@example.org.