By Marissa Sherer
ROCKFORD (WREX) - A new list of the best and worst paying college degrees may have some students reconsidering their majors.
According to payscale.com, aerospace, chemical and computer engineering majors make top dollar after graduation. Right out of school, they make about $60,000. Mid-career their salaries are more than $100,000. Social work, theology and elementary education majors make the least. Their starting salaries are about $33,000.
Rockford College Director of Career Services Kelly Cooper says you shouldn't change your major based only on money. "For those that were considering going into education I would definitely still say, you know, if that is your passion then go for it, and really consider how you can make yourself as marketable as possible in the field of teaching."
If you'd like to see the full survey head to www.payscale.com/best-colleges/degrees.
Here's a list of the top 10 paying jobs now in the nation:
1. Aerospace engineering: $59,600 (starting median salary); $109,000 (mid-career median salary)
2. Chemical engineering: $65,700; $107,000
3. Computer engineering: $61,700; $105,000
4. Electrical engineering: $60,200; $102,000
5. Economics: $50,200; $101,000
6. Physics: $51,100; $98,800
7. Mechanical engineering: $58,900; $98,300
8. Computer science: $56,400; $97,400
9. Industrial engineering: $57,100; $95,000
10. Environmental engineering: $53,400; $94,500
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WREX. All Rights Reserved.
Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Administrative Assistant Trista Truesdale at (815) 335-7856. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at firstname.lastname@example.org.